with Mark Litwak, Esq.
This comprehensive seminar—for filmmakers, new attorneys, and attorneys transitioning to entertainment law—explores how independent films are financed and distributed.
Limited seating available -- RESERVE TODAY!
MCLE credit is available for this seminar -- 100-page handout including sample contracts!
- Financing via pre-sales
- Debt and equity investors
- Negotiating tactics
- Typical contract terms
- Creative accounting
Particular attention will be paid to how producers and filmmakers can protect themselves by:
- Investigating distributors
- Watering down warranties
- Adding contract provisions covering performance
- Termination, and alternative dispute resolution
- Getting errors and omissions (E&O) insurance
- Using lab access letters and schedules of minimums
Other topics will include:
- Criteria for selecting a distributor
- New media distribution
- Which contract terms are negotiable
- Compliance with state and federal laws regarding investors
- Retaining an attorney, producer reps and publicists
- Confirming awards and enforcing judgments
EXTENSIVE HANDOUTS will be made available exclusively online for download, including:
- A distribution contract
- Film financing and distribution articles
- A self-defense checklist
Finally, a lunch-hour break will provide a great opportunity for valuable NETWORKING.
MARK LITWAK is a veteran entertainment attorney based in Beverly Hills. He has lectured at UCLA Extension for more than 20 years, and at Harvard and other top universities. He is the author of six books including: Reel Power: The Struggle for Influence and Success in the New Hollywood, Dealmaking in the Film & Television Industry (winner of the 1996 Krazna-Kranz award for best book in the world on the film business), Contracts for the Film & Television Industry, and Risky Business: Financing and Distributing Independent Films. He has executive produced 6 feature films and successfully arranged for the distribution of more than 50 features as well as serving as production counsel on several TV series. Mark also functions as a producer rep, assisting filmmakers in the financing, marketing, and distribution of their films. He is AV Peer Review Rated and has been named a Southern California Super Lawyer multiple times.
Books by Mark Litwak are available through CLA's Member Bookstore -- 25% OFF
Bldg. C Room 210, Ft. Mason Center, San Francisco, CA 94123