California Lawyers for the Arts and the William James Association
in collaboration with
Santa Clara University and the Justice Arts Coalition
Arts in Corrections: Reframing the Landscape of Justice
June 24 - 28, 2019
Santa Clara University
500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053
This national conference will provide professional development opportunities for artists who work in correctional institutions at all levels and best practices for arts administrators who would like to learn how to implement and manage these programs
Participants in this conference will have opportunities to
* Monday, June 24th is reserved as a pre-conference training day for arts providers and contractors teaching in the CA State Prison System
- Share best practices in program development and curriculum design
- Learn about current research models, including evaluation and documentation
- Develop opportunities to collaborate with justice reform advocates in different states and nationally
- Participate in workshops showcasing exemplary programs for juveniles and adults, as well as restorative justice and re-entry models
- Learn how to build public awareness and enhance programmatic sustainability
- Continue to build the Justice Arts Coalition as a national support organization for artists who teach in correctional institutions and artists coming home
- Participate in art classes in various disciplines taught by master artists
* Friday's schedule features Future IDs Workshops at Alcatraz
Confirmed speakers include:
Jimmy Santiago Baca, Conference Artist-in-Residence, as well as Beth Bienvenu, National Endowment for the Arts; Anne Bown-Crawford, California Arts Council; Larry Brewster, University of San Francisco; Dameion Brown and Lesley Currier, Marin Shakespeare Company; Annie Buckley, California State University - San Bernardino; Laura Caulfield, University of Wolverhampton, UK; Mary Cohen, University of Iowa; Mandy Gardner, Southwest Correctional Arts Network (SCAN); Allia Griffin, Santa Clara University; Jane Golden, Philadelphia Mural Arts; Beverly Iseghohi, Urban League of Greater Atlanta; Ashley Lucas, University of Michigan; Dorsey Nunn, Legal Services for Prisoners with Children / All of Us or None; Meade Palidofsky, Story Catchers Theatre; Gregory Sale, Arizona State University; Kyes Stevens, Auburn University; Curt L. Tofteland, Shakespeare Behind Bars; Ella Turenne, Occidental College / Inside Out Prison Exchange Program
Contractors in the California Arts Council state prison arts program should contact their providers to register.
Artists and staff affiliated with local and state arts agencies throughout the United States should contact CLA conference staff for special discounts available through NEA funding.
Download Registration Form PDF HERE
For more information, please contact conference staff at:
email@example.com or (415) 775-7200 x 101
- $300 Super Early Bird Special if paid by April 30, 2019
- $375 Early Bird: May 1 - May 31, 2019
- $425 Standard Registration: June 1 - June 17, 2019
Santa Clara University, located in the heart of Silicon Valley, blends high-tech innovation with a social consciousness grounded in the Jesuit educational tradition. The university's campus surrounds the historic Mission Santa Clara de Asis which traces its founding to 1776.
(please note: housing registration will close one week before event on June 17, 2019)
Cost for accommodations at Santa Clara University, include meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner or buffet reception)
Participants will be placed in either a single room with bathroom or a shared two bedroom suite, subject to availability.
- 5 Nights: $495.00
- 4 Nights: $400.00
- 3 Nights: $305.00
- 2 Nights: $210.00
- 1 Night: $115.00
Commuter meal plan (for those not staying on campus) includes breakfast, lunch and dinner or buffet reception.
- 5 Day Commuter Meal Plan: $170.00
- 4 Day Commuter Meal Plan: $136.00
- 3 Day Commuter Meal Plan: $102.00
- 2 Day Commuter Meal Plan: $68.00
- 1 Day Commuter Meal Plan: $34.00
The SCU campus is conveniently close to San Jose Airport. Campus housing will be available with advanced registration.